What is Mental Health?
Almost everyone I know is on some form of anti-depressant or other behavior modifying drug. Did you know there have been 3.9 million adverse side effects to Prozac alone? Some of which include violence and suicide? I am very afraid for them. Like so many others, they have bought into the dangerous notion that every emotional disturbance can be “fixed” with psychotropic drugs.
This has become a $22.8 BILLION industry with public relation firms putting together the add campaigns!!! We can’t assume anyone making this kind of money from proven dangerous drugs has our best interest in mind.
Believe me, I understand the problems high anxiety, stress and depression can cause. I suffered from depression, anxiety, stress etc. I did not take any prescriptions but came out of it fine; actually stronger than before. I had to learn how to deal with the emotions I was going through and let them go. It wasn’t easy.
I am not insensitive to this issue. I just believe there is a better way to help people than filling them up with dangerous drugs that do more harm than good. Nutrition and certain supplements can do more to help deal with life than drugs. When you build up your system with the right kind of help you have the power to deal with what comes your way.
Doctors tell us we can adjust unwanted emotions and behavior by balancing brain chemistry. But is this true? They say there is an imbalance of serotonin and dopamine. Did you know there is NO PROOF of this? No study has been done. Yet, they tell us psychotropic medications are the same as mainstream medical drugs. However, unlike drugs that can correct a real, proven problem, psychotropic drugs have no proven ailment to correct. In fact the only chemical imbalance comes from the drugs being taken.
This only causes problems. When these drugs are introduced they cause imbalances in other parts of the body which then causes the over 700,000 dangerous side effects when people go on and/or try to get off the “medication”. Some of the side effects don’t become noticeable until 7 years after being on the market. There have not been long term studies concerning these drugs and the studies that have been performed are meant to get the drug approved by the FDA. Lobbyists have made this process even easier as evident by all the drug commercials we see every day on TV. You know what I’m talking about.
By naming disorders and putting a “medical” spin on them, psychiatrists and doctors have given themselves the power to line their pockets and the pockets of the drug companies they get kickbacks from. Shyness is now social anxiety disorder, sadness over the loss of a loved one is now major depressive disorder, homesickness is now separation anxiety, distractability is now ADHD, the list goes on and on. You know what, there is a drug for that; no matter what “that” is? They say they have made “great advances” in mental health. Is this true? The reality is much darker.
At one time it was believed that behavior problems came from body organs like tonsils, the stomach and spleen, so they would be taken out. Before that it was an imbalance of humors and the only way to cure patients was to “let out” their blood. Now they tell us it’s an imbalance of brain chemicals. Did anyone ever think to realize that people have emotions that are normal?
In the 19th century most mentally ill patients were put into asylums. Psychiatrists were not considered real doctors because they did not actually help or cure the people put into their care. Heroin and cocaine were promoted as a cure. Merck and Park Davis actually paid Sigmund Freud to say cocaine had no addictive effects, but caused euphoria. We all know how that turned out. But then, he used cocaine and later admitted its’ addictive nature.
Psychotropic drugs have a long history of going from miracle to mayhem. Just like today, drug companies paid high profile and influential doctors (in this case psychiatrists) to tout and prescribe psychotropic drugs to “average” Americans. Pushed toward housewives and office workers among others; soon millions of dollars were on the line and psychotropic drugs were big business. And just like today, there were MANY recalls.
To learn more watch the first 3 videos of The Marketing of Madness in this series. You will get the truth behind the history of mental illness and the “treatments”.
Supplements for Depression
DEPRESSION: (investigate hormonal imbalance – estrogen dominance? progesterone deficiency?, etc.)
- B COMPLEX: nourishes the central nervous system
- LECITHIN: insulates the central nervous system; nourishes brain cells; essential for nerve transmission
- ST. JOHN’S WORT COMPLEX (Shaklee MoodLift): stimulates serotonin production
- VIVIX: acts as an MAO enzyme inhibitor
- Extra RAW PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT: provides amino acids to increase serotonin levels
- GINKGO BILOBA (Shaklee Mental Acuity): improves oxygen/hormone/nutrient availability to the brain
- STRESS RELIEF COMPLEX: nourishes the central nervous system
- CorENERGY (Ginseng/Cordyceps): strengthen & replenish the glands
Key Factors to Overcoming Depression
- Exercise – If you have depression, or even if you just feel down from time to time, exercise is a MUST. The research is overwhelmingly positive in this area, with studies confirming that physical exercise is at least as good as antidepressants for helping people who are depressed. One of the primary ways it does this is by increasing the level of endorphins, the “feel good” hormones, in your brain.
- Address your stress — Depression is a very serious condition, however it is not a “disease.” Rather, it’s a sign that your body and your life are out of balance. This is so important to remember, because as soon as you start to view depression as an “illness,” you think you need to take a drug to fix it. In reality, all you need to do is return balance to your life, and one of the key ways to doing this is addressing stress. Prayer, meditation or yoga can help. Sometimes all you need to do is get outside for a walk. But in addition to that, Dr. Mercola also recommend using a system that can help you address emotional issues that you may not even be consciously aware of. For this, his favorite is Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT). However, if you have depression or serious stress, he believes it would be best to consult with a mental health professional who is also an EFT practitioner to guide you.
- Eat a healthy diet — Another factor that cannot be overlooked is your diet. Foods have an immense impact on your mood and ability to cope and be happy, and eating whole foods as described in my nutrition plan will best support your mental health. Avoiding sugar and grains will help normalize your insulin and leptin levels, which is another powerful tool in addressing depression.
- Support optimal brain functioning with essential fats — You also want to MAKE SURE you are supplementing your diet with a high-quality, animal-based omega-3 fat. This may be the single most important nutrient to battle depression.
- Get plenty of sunshine – Making sure you’re getting enough sunlight exposure to have healthy vitamin D levels is also a crucial factor in treating depression or keeping it at bay. One previous study found that people with the lowest levels of vitamin D were 11 times more prone to be depressed than those who had normal levels. Vitamin D deficiency is actually more the norm than the exception, and has previously been implicated in both psychiatric and neurological disorders.
For More Information Click These Links
Tagged with: beating depression • chemical embalnce • dealing with depression • depression • depression treatment • herbs for depression • Mental Health • overcoming depression • supplements for depression
Filed under: Mental Health
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!